12.05.2008

Hartshorne Woods Park

After I rode the Fox Hollow trail at Huber Woods Park, I was feeling fine and I had a couple of hours before I had to return home. I decided to check out the trails at Hartshorne Woods Park. I loaded my bike into my car and drove over to Hartshorne Woods, a short distance from Huber Woods, and parked at the Buttermilk Valley Entrance parking lot. There is another entrance further west called Rocket Point Entrance.

I ended up riding the Laurel Ridge trail to the Grand Tour trail to the Cabin overlooking the maintenance area and doubling back to the parking lot.

The mostly single-track trails that I was on seem to be well maintained with a mix of packed dirt, gravel and sand. Unlike Huber Woods, the sand is used sparingly and is packed down with the dirt and gravel. Small to medium sized rocks, roots and tree branches made the trails very bumpy and challenging. On the short stretch of trails that I was on, there were no flat sections. I was either climbing a steep hill or descending a steep hill.

Where the trails wound through the woods, fallen leaves cover most of the trail floor and cover up some of the rocks and roots sticking out of the ground. The fallen leaves create hidden dangers and extra care is required when you want to fly down the hills. Also, keep in mind that all trails rated moderate and challenging in Hartshorne Woods are multi-use trails so you need to check your speed going down those hills.

If the trails that I was on are a sample of what the rest of the trails in Hartshorne Woods Park are like, I don’t think I will be bringing my two sons to ride any of the trails any time soon.

Map of Hartshorne Woods Park

Summary:

Hilly and difficult single-track multi-use trails not recommended for the beginning mountain bike rider. The trails are definitely not for young children or kids.

Trail Description:

Well maintained. Hard packed. Laurel Ridge trail is rated as moderate. Grand Tour trail is rated as challenging.

Directions:

To Buttermilk Valley Entrance Parking Lot:

From State Highway 35 northbound: just north of the Cooper Bride turn right onto Navesink River Rd. Travel about 4.7 miles and turn right onto Locust Road. Cross Clay Pit Creek Bridge to a five-way intersection. Bear right onto Navesink Avenue and continue to Buttermilk Valley Entrance parking area on the right.

From State Highway 35 southbound: just before the Cooper Bridge into Red Bank, use jug handle to make left turn onto Navesink River Rd. Travel about 4.7 miles and turn right onto Locust Road. Cross Clay Pit Creek Bridge to a five-way intersection. Bear right onto Navesink Avenue and continue to Buttermilk Valley Entrance parking area on the right.

No comments: